Fairfield Primary School deliver a curriculum that has been designed to allow pupils to become increasingly proficient in developing progressive, lifelong learning skills. The intention of our curriculum is that, following their primary school journey, all Year 6 pupils will have the following skills and attributes;
- Be inspired to have a love of learning. They will be reflective learners with enquiring minds.
- Communicate effectively through spoken and written forms using rich and varied vocabulary.
- Be able to make links between previous learning and new knowledge and skills.
- Be respectful and resilient learners with the confidence to speak out for what is right.
- Think creatively to solve problems independently and collaboratively.
- Have the ability to lead and recognise their personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Be responsible and reflective citizens with an understanding of how to keep themselves and others safe.
- Be able to make active and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Use the local, natural environment to enhance their learning.
- Have an awareness of global and national issues.
- Have an appreciation and understanding of our diverse and creative world.
- Have skills to access their next phase of education and an increasingly diverse world of knowledge.
The delivery of our curriculum is based on the following evidence-based principles:
- Short and frequent reviews of previous learning allow fluent recall.
- New material is presented in small steps to allow time for practice.
- Teachers use a wide range of questioning strategies to encourage active participation, build confidence and connect with prior learning.
- Provide pupils with models and worked examples to help them learn to solve problems faster.
- Teachers will check for pupil understanding and guide pupil practice.
- Pupils will be provided with opportunities for independent, extensive practice to allow them to develop fluency and consolidate learning.
- We will provide pupils with appropriate support and scaffolds to assist them in their learning.
- Teachers will provide opportunities to reflect and act on learning regularly.
- Teachers will, at every opportunity, make explicit cross-curricular links to enhance learning.
- The curriculum and it’s learning experiences are designed and sequenced in order to ensure children connect old and new knowledge, allowing them to develop competency and fluency across all topics.